Sea-ice/Cryosphere processes , Active/Passive remote sensing, Climate, Machine learning , High-performance computing.
• Ph.D. student in Applied Marine Physics, Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami, 2017
• M.A Earth and Atmospheric Science, The City University of New York, 2012
• B.A In Physical Geography, Hunter College, 2009
NOAA-‐CREST Research Fellow, City University of New York, 2010-‐2012
• Teaching Assistant, University of Miami, 2013
• Teaching Assistant, City College of New York, 2012
• Teaching Assistant, Hunter College, 2010- 2011
• Inter, NASA Langley Research Center, summer 2016
• Spatial Analyst, Traffic Audit Bureau, 2009-2010
- Cole, S. T., J. M. Toole, R. Lele, M.-L. Timmermans, S. G. Gallaher, T. P. Stanton, W. J. Shaw, B. Hwang, T. Maksym, J. P. Wilkinson, M. Ortiz, H. Graber, L. Rainville, A. A. Petty, S. Farrell, J. A. Richter-Menge and C. Haas, 2017: Ice and ocean velocity in the Arctic marginal ice zone: Ice roughness and momentum transfer. Elem Sci Anth. 2017;5:55. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1525/elementa.241
- Ortiz, Macarena, "Remote Sensing of Open Water Fraction and Melt Ponds in the Beaufort Sea Using Machine Learning Algorithms" (2017). Open Access Dissertations. 1957.
- Quantifying the Evolution of Melt Ponds in the Marginal Ice Zone Using High Resolution Optical Images with Machine Learning Models, Macarena Ortiz, Juan Pinales, Lisa Nyman, Björn Lund, Jeremy Wilkinson, Hans C. Graber, Ocean Sciences 2016, New Orleans (oral presentation).
- High Resolution Marginal Ice Zone Monitoring of Open Water Fraction in the Beaufort sea Using Synthetic Aperture Radar and Ice Mass-Balance Buoys, Macarena Ortiz, Björn Lund, Juan Pinales, Alexis Denton, Hans C. Graber, IGARSS 2015, Milan, Italy (oral presentation).
- Tracking an Ice Mass-Balance Buoy Using High Resolution SAR Signatures with Terrasar-X and Radarsat-2 in the Beaufort Sea, Macarena Ortiz, Alexis Denton and Hans C. Graber. Ocean Sciences 2014, Honolulu. (Poster)
- Assembly and Evaluation of Spaceborne Remote Sensing Datasets Supporting Assessment of Climate Change Impacts to Ecosystem Biodiversity, Macarena Ortiz, Kyle C. McDOnald, Ana Carnival, Eric Waltari and Ronny Schroeder, Women in Science 2012 Forum, CUNNY Graduate Center, New York, March 2012 & also presented at: NOAA 6th Biennial Educational Partnership Program Education and Science Forum at Florida A&M University, Tallahassee, FL 2012. (poster)
- Matching CloudSat and MOZAIC Data to Study Convective Storms, Macarena Ortiz and Z. Johnny Luo, 7th annual NOAA CREST Symposium, Hampton University, VA, April 2011. (Poster)
- NASA Post-Doctoral Fellow, NASA Langley Research Center, 2017-2019.
- NOAA-‐CREST Research Fellow, City University of New York, 2010-‐2012
Photo Credit : www.NSIDC.org